Thursday, March 31, 2011

4 Little Tips to Get Healthier

  1. Replace your peanut butter with almond butter.  Almonds are one of those “superfoods” that nutritionists always recommend.  Personally, I don’t crave a handful of almonds very often.  My snacks are usually a peanut butter & banana sandwich, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter on a toasted bagel… you get the idea.  This little switch makes me feel good every time I snack!
  2. Buy an organic dark chocolate bar.  Dark chocolate is significantly healthier than milk chocolate, and even provides some health benefits such as lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.  My chocolate addiction is so severe that I need it almost daily.  I buy myself one large organic chocolate bar each week, and break off one piece each night when the craving strikes.  Amazingly, the small amount of organic dark chocolate is more satisfying than a king size waxy milk chocolate bar. Try it- you’ll see!
  3. Be an active TV viewer.  No, I don’t mean watch more TV; I mean get up off the couch! Make an effort to get on your feet during commercials.  Do a few dishes, put away some laundry, or just pace around the living room.  Just try to get up and move.  You’ll be amazed how fun this can be and how productive you will feel after your favorite shows.  Plus it feels like you are getting a reward for doing mundane chores!
  4. Make muffins.  Take 30 minutes on Sunday to bake home-made muffins, and your life will be better! Pre-packed or drive-through breakfasts contain high amounts of sodium and calories.  But what’s easier than grabbing it on the go? Nothing… that’s why you make muffins on Sunday and have them ready to go all week.  Try healthy replacement ingredients, like using applesauce & yogurt instead of oil & butter.  For a real health kick, use flax seed instead of egg.
These little tips are easy to do and easy to stick to.  Of course, these alone won’t change your life, but I believe that every little change adds up.  Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Especially when I'm in a healthy cycle. When I'm on a binging cycle, I would scoff and roll my eyes at this. But right now, I'm glad I have a friend who cares about healthy food as much as I do... sometimes. :D

    Another tip I would add is to eat more Greek yogurt and use it as a substitute for anything creamy. Greek yogurt is my everything. I pretty much eat it as often as I can and I even have started making it myself (which is way cheaper than buying it and super easy too). It's very high in protein and calcium, without the fat, calories, and sugar that milk has.

    ReplyDelete