Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Friendly Banana Bread

I am, and have always been, a picky eater.  And although I've come a long way from my days as a tween vegetarian, there are other new quirks that define my diet.  Quirk 1: Organics.  I won’t lecture you on the benefits of organics… it’s a personal choice.  But I will tell you that the only time I cried due to our move to rural Texas was in the grocery store when I couldn’t find the organic section. Quirk 2: Certified Humane.  I try to buy happy meat whenever possible, despite the teasing from my husband.  This label is the only thing that keeps me from going vegetarian.

Everything I cook at home has been engineered to be healthier, to the best of my ability. Skim, organic, wheat, low-sodium… you name it.  I’ve tried to do it.  So I’m happy to share with you the first of a series of “friendly” recipes.  All of these recipes will work with traditional ingredients, but I do prefer organic when possible.  Enjoy these recipes… guilt free!

Friendly Banana Bread with Granola Topping
Friendly Banana Bread

Ingredients
2              eggs, beaten
⅓ c           low-fat vanilla or plain yogurt
½ c         applesauce
3              bananas, just starting to brown
¾ c         sugar
1 ¾ c      wheat flour
1 tsp        baking soda
½ tsp      salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. In one large bowl, blend together eggs, yogurt, applesauce, & bananas.  To banana mix, add sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Blend until well mixed.
  3. Pour into greased 9 x 5 loaf pan, and bake 1 hr 20 min.
Notes:
  • Check the sugar content of the applesauce and yogurt, especially if non-organic.  You may be able to use less sugar if these contain lots of added sugar.
  • This also makes great muffins, just bake for about 20-30 min less!

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally supposed to be working on a project now, but I wanted to quickly comment... do you know skinnygirl? Bethenny Frankel does a lot of adaptions to make things SUPER healthy. And I like her take on a lot of recipes because she balances keeping it low fat/sodium/etc. but if it needs sugar, it gets sugar. I'd check out her out, plus, her super bitchiness is something I think you'd enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking a break to read my blog! I do know of skinnygirl, and I think it's great! I desperately want to get hold of her margarita mix...

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!! I LOVE HER SKINNYGIRL MARGARITAS!! I waited forever, too, to get them and finally, just in the past two months I've seen it in a lot more places. Do you think it's just a WTF issue? Urbana is pretty small too so I figure if we have it, you must have it there. Sam's even has it now! I can't wait until Lent is over until I can have some. Or... I guess I can just wait 'til my birthday. I plan to go balls out that day :D

    ReplyDelete