Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fractions & Cooking for Two

Spinach and Artichoke Tortellini
The proverbial “hot dinner on the table” is now a part of my daily routine.  With our recent move from an urban to a rural area, we’ve decided to abandon our nightly restaurant habit for cost-efficient home cookin’.  And given my love for cooking, it’s not at all a burden.  I’m happy that our new situation allows me the time to watch my cooking shows, carefully plan the weekly menu, and save a significant amount of money in the process.

Most recipes I find are meant for families, yielding 4-8 servings or more.  My family consists of two adults and one cat, and none of us are very diligent at eating leftovers.  Call me spoiled, but I don’t like eating the same thing three days in a row.  The seemingly obvious solution is to just cut the ingredients down, such that the recipe yields two servings.

I have encountered a few problems with this approach. Let it be known that not all ingredients can be reasonably divided.  For example, I have not yet mastered the ability to mix in 1/3 of an egg.  I refuse to use only two burger buns, of a bag of six.  Try using only ¼ cup of heavy cream and watching the rest of the container taunt you from the refrigerator until you finally throw it away weeks later.

Some ingredients are so minuscule that I opt out of including them at all.  If the original recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of something to yield 6 servings, I would need to cut that down to 1/6 teaspoon of something to yield 2 servings.  I don’t know about you, but I’m not about to buy a whole jar of something for a measly 1/6 teaspoon.  For the same reason, I rarely garnish anything unless that same ingredient is used elsewhere in a larger quantity.

I’ve found two ways to overcome these obstacles.  Number one- Go ahead with the larger servings and freeze the leftovers for another week. This prevents the leftovers dilemma, and makes life easier down the road.  Number two- Get creative and use what you have on hand instead of buying obscure ingredients.  Part of being a successful cook is learning what and when to substitute ingredients, and that comes in handy when you are trying to utilize items already in your pantry. Plus it’s a more efficient way to do your shopping and spend your money, knowing that all of the ingredients will be used before they expire.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I'd typically do the first--freeze the leftovers. Although, I'm a lot better about eating the same thing for a couple days. I also just try to cook more stuff with fewer ingredients. That way each ingredient makes a bigger difference and I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck in terms of real, natural flavors. One of my favorite celebrity chefs says that when he eats something, he wants to be able to taste everything in his mouth--and if there are too many spices and other things, he can't really enjoy it. Happy eating! :-)

    ReplyDelete