Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How an Engineer Becomes a SAHW

Wait, so you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering? But you stay at home all day?

Yes, that's me.  I earned an engineering degree, and luckily was able to land a job in the energy industry.  My husband did the exact same.  We struggled for a couple of years to pursue our parallel career paths while trying to live in the same city.  The experience was quite challenging!  With every promotion came the fear of relocation.  We knew that eventually, an offer would come along that would force us to make a decision... my career or yours?  Who says "No" to the big promotion, or who quits?

My husband got the first offer to relocate, and it wasn't exactly optional.  We were in a position where one of us would have to quit our job to keep the other.  Although we had to make the decision sooner than either of us expected, it was an easy one.  Not because either of us believe that "the wife" should tend to the home, but because the math worked out that way.  My husband, who had only been working a few months longer than myself, was making significantly more money.  His rate of return for time invested was much higher than mine, so it made sense to pursue his career.  (This is what happens when two engineers marry!)  That was that.

I will admit though, that I was a bit relieved at the result of our logic.  While my job wasn't terrible, it certainly wasn't my "calling".  I felt like I was outsourcing all the things in life that I enjoyed- cooking, yard work, sewing.  I would say to myself, "Why am I working so that I can afford to pay people to do the things that I would rather be doing myself??" And in this economy, I felt good about freeing up an opportunity for another family to have that income.  So bottom line, although the math supports it, I was happy to become a housewife.  And here I am!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I applaud your decision since it makes logical sense as well as personal sense :-) which happily go hand in hand. Are you feeling better now? Ready for some more subbing opportunities?

    ReplyDelete