Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to Carbon Date… without the Carbon

This isn't me, but it's a classic example!

When I was working, I remember walking into someone’s office and seeing a shiny brass framed, oversized close-up of a young woman with crazy 80’s hair and hot pink cheeks.  From this one detail, I assumed two things: the person I was about to meet was middle-aged or older, and the pictures in his or her office were probably older than me.

I noticed the same thing when I was house-hunting recently.  I would walk into a home, and just by analyzing the pictures on the walls I could tell you whether or not the kitchen had been updated.  If the home owners weren’t going to bother changing the 11x14 portrait of the 3rd grader in a mauve mat and pink plastic frame, I highly doubt they opted for stainless steel appliances.  I’m sure there are exceptions, but it seems to be a good rule of thumb.

In an effort to keep my surroundings up-to-date, I have vowed to change out all framed pictures annually and to update the frames as needed.  The holidays provide a good opportunity for this, because people tend to redecorate the entire house anyways.  This also forces me to actually print part of my collection of digital pictures, which I rarely do otherwise.

Today I sorted through files of vacations, weddings, and nights out from the last year and chose my favorites for printing.  Admittedly, I also supplemented a few pictures from friends’ Facebook postings, because they tend to be much better at remembering a camera.  I had a really good time reflecting over the events of the last year. The Changing of the Photos is becoming an event in itself, serving as a time to tell stories and reminisce.

I also demanded that my husband bring home his frames from the office for updating… we can’t have anyone thinking he’s an old man yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment